General Planning Information
General Planning InformationThe Planning Department is responsible for all Development Review and Land Use Policy within the Township of Southgate.
What is “PLANNING”?
Planning means the scientific, aesthetic, and orderly disposition of land, resources, facilities and services with a view to securing the physical, economic and social efficiency, health and well-being of urban and rural communities (Canadian Institute of Planners, http://www.cip-icu.ca)
The municipal planning process is governed by a hierarchy of legislation, regulations, planning policies, guidelines, standards and in some cases common law. This hierarchy includes the Planning Act, the Provincial Policy Statement (2005), County of Grey Official Plan and the Southgate Official Plan among other legislative requirements.
Thinking of Developing your Property?
If you are thinking of severing a lot, changing a use (such as adding a commercial use), or changing a building on your property which does not conform to the zoning by-law, you will need to speak with the Planning Department.
Development Review includes pre-consultation of potential planning applications. Those considering a planning application are encouraged to consult early with staff and you should be aware that pre-consultation prior to submitting an application is required. Pre-consultation can save you time and money in the long run. Staff are able to assist you with your application to ensure you are well aware of the process, required information and timing before you pay any required fees.
Examples of applications processed:
- Zoning By-law Amendments
- Temporary Use Zoning Amendment (ex. Garden Suite)
- Minor Variances
- Southgate Official Plan amendments
- Consents (severance of land, lot line adjustment etc.)
- Site Plan Approval
- Draft Plans of Subdivision
Who to Contact:
- For general Planning Information, severances, development proposals and planning applications - Contact the Municipal Planner
- For zoning and zoning compliance, building permits, septic - Contact the Chief Building Inspector (CBO)
See the Contact Us page for contact information
Looking for Specific Planning Documents and Policies?
- Southgate Official Plan
- Zoning By-law
- Application Forms
- Current Applications and Public Notices
- Planning Related Fees (Schedule "E")
You should also be aware of the following Planning Related documents and legislation: (external links)
County of Grey Official Plan (http://www.grey.ca/services/planning-development/county-of-grey-official-plan/)
Provincial Policy Statement (2005) (http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page1485.aspx)
Planning Act, 1990 (e-laws Ontario) (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/)
Other Useful Land Use and Planning Information
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing – Land Use Planning Info (http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page186.aspx)
Ministry of municipal Affairs Citizen’s Guides:
- Official Plans (http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page1759.aspx)
- Land Severances (http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page1756.aspx)
- Zoning By-laws (http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page1758.aspx)
Environment and Land Tribunals http://elto.gov.on.ca/
(ex. Ontario Municipal Board, Conservation Review Board, Assessment etc.)
The Planning Department is currently working on two special projects:
Community Improvement Plan (CIP)
Community Improvement Planning is related both to planning and to economic development, most often used as a tool for Community Revitalization.
Community Improvement Planning allows municipalities to:
- focus public attention on local priorities and municipal initiatives
- target areas in transition or in need of repair, rehabilitation & redevelopment
- facilitate and encourage community change in a co-ordinated manner
- stimulate private sector investment through municipal incentive-based programs
These tools allow a municipality with a CIP to provide bonuses to land owners which meet the required criteria or engage in certain processes. Bonuses include programs such as tax cancellation, grants, loans, and so on. How a municipality intends to use these tools must be found in the CIP document and adopted by Council.
Community Improvement Planning requires a significant amount of community engagement – to scope, design and develop the plan.
At this time, a Community Improvement Plan focusing on the Downtown area of Dundalk has commenced. Staff are currently organizing a citizens task force, made up of business owners and residents to assist with the design of the project.
This project has a timeline of 6 months to complete, including amending the Official Plan to allow for such a project.
The Township of Southgate has just approved hiring of a consultant to help develop its very first Strategic Plan!
Developing a Strategic Plan requires a significant amount of community engagement, including direct communication, surveys and so on.
This project has a timeline of approximately 6-8 months starting December 2012.
***More information about both these projects will be coming shortly.
If you are interested in either of these projects, please send your interest by email to email@example.com
- Local Government
- Mayor's Message
- Council Members
- Clerk's Department
- Agendas & Minutes
- By-laws & Policies
- Contact Us
- History & Heritage
- Municipal Legislation Links
- Media Release List
- Tourism & Recreation
- Dundalk Community Center & Arena
- Dundalk Pool
- Electronic Message Request Form
- Good Food Box
- Healthy Kids Community Challenge
- Highpoint Campground
- Horse & Buggy Rides
- Recreation & Community Groups Contacts
- Rental Facilities
- Recreation Master Plan
- Southgate Public Library
- Municipal Services
- Finance Department
- Tax Department
- Asset Management Plan
- Transportation & Public Safety
- Environmental Services
- Water / Wastewater
- Canine Control
- Emergency Services
- Planning & Land Use
- Marriage Licensing
- New Resident
- Lottery Licensing
- Energy Conservation
- Municipal Servicing Standards
- Economic Development
- Economic Development Assistance
- Location of Southgate
- Available Industrial Land
- Commercial Space
- Community Profile
- Southgate Directory
- Visiting Southgate
- Downtown Revitalization
- Employment Services
- Business Resources
- Biomass to Energy Project - Petawawa Renewable Power Corporation
- Videos of Southgate
- New Business Checklist
- Current Opportunities
- News Documents
- External Links
- Samsung Solar Project Comment Form